TRUMBULL -- GOP gubernatorial candidate and former Trumbull First Selectman Tim Herbst announced Monday endorsements from six Republican leaders, expanding the total roster of endorsements received by his campaign from GOP lawmakers, municipal leaders, party officials and party committees to 21.
"I have been overwhelmed by the support my campaign to upend business-as-usual in Hartford has gained from every corner of our state," Herbst said. "This campaign is about building a movement to take back our state from the insiders in Hartford who have pushed us into perpetual and job-crushing fiscal crisis."
"Unlike other candidates for governor, we are building support in every region of our state," Herbst continued, "Whether it is in the Quiet Corner, Fairfield County, southeastern Connecticut, the New Haven metro area or central Connecticut, Republican leaders are recognizing how critical it is we nominate and elect a proven reformer and Hartford outsider to fundamentally change the way things are done under the Gold Dome."
State Representative Greg Stokes, District 58
“As a first term legislator, I have seen with my own eyes the dysfunction caused by one party rule for far too long,” said Stokes. “Now more than ever, we need a proven reformer and Hartford outsider who will focus on the next generation and bring the needed reforms to get our state back on track."
"Tim led an amazing turnaround in Trumbull that led to balanced budgets, lower taxes, a growing economy and a nationally ranked school system," Stokes continued. "This is exactly what Connecticut needs.”
GOP State Central Committee Member Patricia Fers, District 17
"Tim balance eight budgets in Trumbull," Fers said. "He knows how to run a successful municipality and will do so at the state level. Tim anticipates and solves problems before they get worse and makes the tough decisions, something our current governor does not."
West Haven RTC Chair Michele Gregorio
"Tim is the only candidate who is a proven reformer and is battle tested," Gregorio said, "He will fix the corrupt culture in Hartford and end the job crushing taxation coming out of Hartford. Like he did in Trumbull, he will set Connecticut on course to financial stability."
Groton RTC Chair Constantine G. Antipas
"The people of Connecticut have an important task ahead of them this November – choosing our next governor," Antipas said. "Tim Herbst is on a mission to turn Connecticut around with well-defined and bold solutions to our state’s problems."
"Our state needs leadership and vision as never before," Antipas continued. "Tim Herbst has the experience, common sense, proven leadership – and yes, guts – Connecticut needs at this critical time. I am therefore proud to count myself among the many supporting Tim Herbst as Connecticut’s next governor."
Trumbull RTC Chair Vincent Fuimara
"I have known Tim Herbst for 30 years," Fuimara said. "I saw what he did here in Trumbull. He is ready to be our Governor. I've fought beside him many times in many tough situations. He always says what he means and means what he says."
Putnam RTC Chair Roy Simmons
"Tim Herbst has made a name for himself as a leader within the Town of Trumbull, and he is looking to take that leadership — especially fiscal leadership — right up to the state level," Simmons said. "Keeping the town budget expenses in mind, he has refused a pension for himself once his term as First Selectman is up. Continuing on in this vein, Tim has also worked towards reducing the number of political appointees in the Town of Trumbull, thereby reducing the fiscal burden to the taxpayers.As Governor, Herbst has promised to continue to lead by example."
In total, Herbst has now received the endorsement of seven members of the Republican State Central Committee, ten current and former municipal executives, four Republican Town Committee Chairs, a State Representative and two Republican Town Committees.
Full List of Endorsements:
- State Rep. Greg Stokes, District 58
- North Haven First Selectman Mike Freda
- Former Stamford Mayor Mike Pavia
- Former Norwalk Mayor Dick Moccia
- Former Bridgeport Mayor Mary Moran
- Ansonia Mayor David Cassetti
- Former Trumbull First Selectman Ken Halaby
- Former Rocky Hill Mayor Henry Vasel
- GOP State Central Committee Member and Cromwell Mayor Enzo Faienza, District 9
- GOP State Central Committee Member and Trumbull Town Council Chairman Carl Massaro Jr., District 22
- GOP State Central Committee Member Patricia Fers, District 17
- GOP State Central Committee Member Daniel Hetzel, District 18
- GOP State Central Committee Member Robert Kolenberg, District 27
- GOP State Central Committee Member William Jenkins, District 35
- GOP State Central Committee Member Meg Cassanta, District 9
- West Haven RTC Chair Michele Gregorio
- Groton RTC Chair Constantine G. Antipas
- Trumbull RTC Chair Vincent Fuimara
- Putnam RTC Chair and Selectman Roy Simmons
- Republican Town Committee of Trumbull
- Republican Town Committee of Putnam